After spending 15 years as teacher in both primary and secondary sectors, John Stephens was head of a local authority music service for 10 years, and then deputy head of a south east London primary school. He now works as an independent consultant, coach, and trainer. John completed the postgraduate Certificate of Educational Leadership and Consultancy course at the Institute of Education in 2007.
The coaching and mentoring focus embedded within this programme had a profound influence on Johnʼs leadership and management style. As a senior leader within a local authority school improvement team during a time of change, and then as a deputy head John has an excellent understanding of the pressures currently faced by education. He believes passionately that barriers to improvement are most effectively addressed when people have an opportunity to express their thoughts and feelings in a safe environment, where they can reflect openly, without fear of judgement, and arrive at their own solutions.
Johnʼs expert knowledge, ability to work with a team and facilitate group work and understanding, combined with a calm, supportive and flexible approach helped us to identify the different strategic models for consideration.
Fiona Kemp, Robert Owen Early Years Centre
In addition to his consultancy work John is currently studying for an MA in Social Entrepreneurship ay Goldsmiths, University of London. He is also an active musician in his local community of Charlton, south east London.
- Individual and group coaching and facilitation for both adults and children
- Quality assurance and performance management
- Curriculum support and training
- Problem solving for senior management
- Developing a supportive model of quality assurance and performance management
- Training, leading and managing mentors and peer mentors
- Setting up and leading nurture group provision
- Cathedral School, Southwark
- Future Foundations
- Middle Park Primary School, Greenwich
- Robert Owen Early Years Centre
- Lewisham Local Authority
Your lesson observations together with your insightful and professional feedback enabled us to identify some important issues regarding teaching and learning. We have, as a result, targeted support and training around a number of the key areas you identified.
Peter Hayward, Lewisham Music Service